PASTORAL GUIDELINES AND SUPPLEMENTARY PASTORAL GUIDELINES IN TIMES OF TYPHOONS AND RAINSTORMS
Please refer to the following Pastoral Guidelines issued by the Chancery Office on 11 May 2005 and Supplementary Pastoral Guidelines, issued on 22 Oct 2010:
- When the Typhoon Signal No.8 (or above) is hoisted or Black Rainstorm Warning is in force, the faithful, in accordance with the advice given to the general public, are to avoid outdoor activities and to stay indoors for their personal safety.
- As travelling from their houses to churches or Mass centres might be hazardous when the above-mentioned signals are hoisted, the faithful are not obliged to attend Sunday Mass under these circumstances. However, for their own spiritual benefit, they are still required to perform some works of piety, such as meditating on some Scripture passages (preferably those chosen for the Sunday liturgy) or saying the Rosary at home.
- Under the circumstances mentioned in No.1 above, churches and Mass centres are to be closed, and regularly scheduled Masses are to be cancelled. This applies to Sunday or weekdays.
- The faithful who go against the advice given in Nos.1-2 above do so at their own risk. The diocesan authorities and the priests concerned shall not be responsible for any accidents or injuries which might occur.
- If Typhoon Signal No.8 (or above) or Black Rainstorm Warning is lowered two hours or more ahead of scheduled Sunday or weekday Masses, churches and Mass centres are to provide the usual eucharistic services. However, priests are not required to arrange for special/unscheduled Masses when these signals are lowered.
- For the safety of those concerned, once a Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No. 8 (or higher) is in force, weddings originally scheduled to be held in any licensed church or chapel are to be cancelled, but a wedding which is in progress may continue until it is concluded.
- In general, the services of churches and chapels will be resumed in 2 hours after the Warning Signal No. 8 (or higher) is lowered or cancelled. After the resumption of services, those weddings originally scheduled to be held later that day may take place as scheduled.
- New arrangements for weddings which have been delayed due to tropical cyclones are to be made by the contracting parties jointly with the Parish Priest or Rector concerned.
- In handling the above-mentioned situations, Parish Priests and Rectors should exercise prudence, bearing in mind the spiritual welfare of the contracting parties and their families and relatives.
(Source of Information: PASTORAL GUIDELINES IN TIMES OF TYPHOONS AND RAINSTORMS)
St. Margaret’s Church Sunday School Guidelines in times of Typhoons and Rainstorms
When the Typhoon Signal No. 3 (or above) is hoisted or RED/BLACK Rainstorm Warning is in force, all classes are to be cancelled. For detail, please refer to the website of St. Margaret’s Church Sunday School.
Adult and Youth Catechumen Class Guidelines in times of Typhoons and Rainstorms
Unless your catechumen class instructor informs you of any special arrangement, when the Typhoon Signal No. 8 (or above) is hoisted Two (2) hours ahead of your scheduled lessons, or expected to be hoisted within Four (4) hours by Hong Kong Observatory, or RED or BLACK Rainstorm Warning is in force Two (2) hours ahead of your scheduled lessons, all classes are to be cancelled. For your personal safety, you, in particular Elderly, should consider the weather conditions in your location while determining if it is appropriate for your to attend the class. Please inquire of your class instructor should you have any inquiries.
*** The Parish may also publish special announcement and arrangement on “Parish Announcement” page of this website and the Parish’s Facebook Page according to the latest conditions. Please pay attention to the special announcement and arrangement. ***